Some Saturday Night Notes

**Been away from the computer for a bit as I have been busy with my other less hooligan life. I got accepted into Capital University School of Law in Columbus, as a result you will probably be seeing alot more of me over the next three years. Additionally this website should improve as I'm likely to check out a lot of practices and invest in more technology for it. Possibly do my own stories about players with quotes. And, maybe I'll be more in the loop as well which means less "emo" outbursts.

**From Mitchell:
Schmid was not concerned about the Nigerian striker who was said to be arriving this week but hasn’t shown up yet.

“There’s been talk of somebody but until he gets here we won’t worry about it. It’s a long way from Lagos to here.”

Who is this somebody? And, why is Sigi so aloof about it?

I don't have a picture of him (like I found the first pic of Ekpo). But, I have a picture of a hot Nigerian model to make up for it.


Crewzer signing!

In seriousness, I will be happy if this Nigerian striker proves to be as good as Ekpo.

** According also from Mitchell, an overnight bus trip is being planned for the Crew’s visit to Toronto in September. For information, send Allen an email here.

Who is this Allen and how do I get a ticket?

**
(Columbus Dispatch, Robertson, Photo)

Nice Story Here on Moreno

Notables: Good attitude-
"I'm the leading scorer on a team that's scoring goals and winning games," he said. "I do my job. Sometimes I'm playing by myself up top and battling with three guys at once. I hold the ball up. I don't complain. I've done well enough to be an important part of this team. If another forward comes, so be it.

"I think the people within this organization appreciate the job I do on the field. I do a lot of things for this team that other people in the league would not want to do. A lot of times you have to put your personal interest behind you and put the team's interest in front."

The Seven Nation Army "Alejandro Moreno":
He is appreciated by the Crew's most ardent supporters, who have taken to regularly chanting his name to the tune of the White Stripes' Seven Nation Army. The chant broke out Wednesday during an exhibition against Independiente.

But Moreno was not playing and was nowhere near the field. He was sitting in the stands with his son, Alejandro Jr., who heard the chant.

"He said 'Poppy, they're saying your name. Do they like you, Poppy?' I said 'I think so, son.' "

Yeah I think we like Moreno. :-)

**
(G. Batram, Getty)

Rogers Story By Merz

Crew are not concerned about Rogers scoring draught and they shouldn't be as long as Rogers in playing in the midfield. He is always doing his job and it's an added bonus that he seems to be able to find the net often as well. He definitely deserves his all-star spot.

Rogers on the scoring draught:
"I'm a midfielder. I have five goals midway through the season. I'll take that in a year," said Rogers, who had three goals in 10 games as a rookie. "I haven't scored in the last few games but we've been playing pretty well. If we keep getting points I don't care."

Sigi on the scoring draught:
"I'm not worried about him as long as he continues to play with a forward mind, continue to go at forwards and create things," said Schmid. "You look at the game against LA (June 21) where he draws a penalty kick and sets up the goal off the free kick. Those are as valuable as goals."

**Columbus is going for ESPN's "Titletown," and ESPN will also be at the Horse Shoe for a Pep Rally on July 17th. Doing double duty I assume next Thursday. Hopefully the Crew can give reason for the Pep Rally to be at our stadium next time ESPN wants to make up another stupid contest.

No comments: