Crewfighter Musings on USA 2-Holland 2


This might be the most excited celebration I have ever seen for a goal that one has scored from a powerful ball that has reflected off of his thigh.


But hell the Americans looked astoundingly assured and downright awesome once they got over the fact that they were playing the Netherlands. The first 25 minutes of the game was plainfully awful. Most of the rest was all USA, all day. The Americans deserved a victory and had the game in hand but ended up tying the Netherlands 2-2 in the dying moments because of a Gabriel Sibon free kick just outside of the box that somehow ruled on the ground straight to the net without ever being touched. (To be quiet honest it was one of the best worm burners I have ever seen.)

The Beautiful Game: I have to say before I get into the meat of my analysis of today's contest that the coverage of soccer on NBC Olympics.com is absolutely breathtaking. How refreshing is it not to have to listen to some annoying asshole announcer the whole time. The game is so much better when it's a beautiful feed and just absolute silence except the ball and the crowd.

I wish MLS would be an innovator in no announcers. I don't really get the point of announcers really? Even good ones. Wouldn't an announcer at your wedding or your graduation, just be downright annoying as well? Even if he had a bunch of interesting facts about your life.

Okay end of rant...

My Musings:

**Adu is absolutely phenomonal. When you have an American player who just schools 6 or 7 Netherlands players in the offensive third three or four times, you know something is up. Adu's development is going to be one of the main vocal points to whether we ever win a World Cup someday.

**You know right that some of those American youngsters we have running around are going to get some inquisitive looks when they are outplaying Royston Drenthe of Real Madrid, Ryan Babel of Liverpool, and John De Guzman of Feyernood. 8 of the starters were MLS players. 11 out of the 13 players that hit the pitch today were developed by MLS. And they should have won against top European youth. That's pretty exciting. I mean if I had to go by the overall game I would have taken the MLS developed players over these top European ones from the Netherlands. Another thing that I noticed is that this group has more confidence against big time opponents then our senior side.

**Robbie Rogers doesn't look as fast out there when he is playing against some top notch youngsters. His performances so far in the Olympics probably mean that we don't have to worry about any top offers for him anytime too soon. Maybe it has just been the time change. But, he has looked a step slower and not in his best form.

Don't know if he will be starting against Nigeria.

**Why is Brian McBride out there starting? He touched the ball once or twice the entire first half. He is dead space out there. I'm glad actually that we didn't sign him. He would have scored 2 or 3 headers this season after the Olympics and retired.

If you don't have a good crossing game Brian McBride especially at this older age is entirely ineffective. I know they won't bench a captain like McBride. But, the US team if they want to have a shot at gold are better off with Jozy starting and McBride on the bench.

And, FYI, just to really blow your minds... I believe that Chad Barrett is a better investment then Brian McBride right now and especially long term and if a team shows confidence in him. Obviously Carver did that by giving Barrett the free kick duties from long distance against Colorado.

So yes it's plausible that choke artist Barrett is worth more then Brian McBride. So Crew fans don't sweat not having McBride. It would have been the biggest waste of money ever. Now we have Pat Noonan instead who will be with us for possibly the next five years.

**Marvell Wynne really, really impressed me today. He did a fantastic job on Drenthe. Not exactly the easiest task in the world. He also made some solid runs well done. Edu, Holden, and Klejstan also had notable performances.

No comments: