New Crew Anthem?



As the Nordecke continues to grow this season, the number of songs and chants integrated into our setlist has grown tremendously. So far the breakaway hit of the new Nordecke is the "We Love You" cheer first suggested right here on Crewture. We have really turned up the collective intensity in the section this season in the corner. Crew Stadium is at its loudest this season thanks to creativity of Crew Union, the intensity of Hudson Street Hooligans, and the sweet beats of La Turbina. Whether it is the aforementioned "We Love You" cheer, "Columbus til I die" or "Yo se la voz", the noise coming from the corner has created a very intimidating atmosphere.


However, The Nordecke has yet to develop a team anthem to sing together at the end of the game. In the past we have flirted with "I cant help falling in Love with You" popularized by Elvis and UB-40 but changing the You to "Crew". While I was always a fan of this, it never really seemed to catch on throughout the section. 

On Bigsoccer, there has been a discussion about selecting a "Crew Anthem" for the newly formed Nordecke. My favorite suggestion by far on this forum is "Yellow" by Coldplay. Here is a video of Coldplay perfoming at Glastonbury Music Festival in 2002. Listen from 1:30 to 2:00 of this video of the crowd singing along with Chris Martin. 



This could be beyond Massive if we could pull this off in the section. This could be Columbus's answer to "Youll Never Walk Alone", the famous Liverpool anthem. We could be a trendsetter with this kind of song, because I cant recall any other MLS team with a club anthem like this. This could really set us apart. Here are the lyrics in case you dont know them

Look at the Stars
Look how they shine for you
And all the things that you do
They were all Yellow

I came along
I wrote a song for you
And all the things that you do
It was called Yellow

So then I took my turn
Oh what a thing to have done
And it was all Yellow

Your skin
O yea your skin and bones
Turning in to something beautiful
You know, You know I love You so
You know I love You so

I swam across
I jumped across for you
O what a thing to do

Cos you were all Yellow
I drew a line
I drew a line for You
Oh what a thing to do
And it was all Yellow

Your skin
O yea your skin and bones
turn into something beautiful
And you know for you
I'd bleed myself dry
For you I'd bleed myself dry

Its true look how they shine for you
Look how they shine for you....



What do you think of this song for the Crew Anthem? Love it? Hate it?


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

i like it and all but i dunno dude there's a lot of coldplay haters out there, how many are in the nordecke I'm not sure, but some people might not like it

Anonymous said...

i lave it

Ryan Kozlowski said...

I really like it for our song after hearing the crowd part and i'm not even a huge coldplay fan.

and embedded it for you. Beat me to the punch as I was just about to type about this. :-)

Good work Jordan. Good post.

Anonymous said...

As a coldplay fan, I love it. What could be better then mixing one of my favorite music groups with the most MASSIVE team in the league!

Anonymous said...

I never associated that song with the Crew, but it totally works.

You'd prolly need to split it up though, choose just the most appropriate lines. Otherwise, it's a bit long.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Tom. Could be great though if it ever worked out.

Anonymous said...

Maybe?:

Look at the Stars
Look how they shine for you
And all the things that you do
They were all Yellow

So then I took my turn
Oh what a thing to have done
And it was all Yellow

Your skin
O yea your skin and bones
Turning in to something beautiful
You know, You know I love You so
You know I love You so

Cos you were all Yellow
I drew a line
I drew a line for You
Oh what a thing to do
And it was all Yellow

Your skin
O yea your skin and bones
turn into something beautiful
And you know for you
I'd bleed myself dry
For you I'd bleed myself dry

Its true look how they shine for you
Look how they shine for you....

Anonymous said...

EDIT:

Look at the Stars
Look how they shine for you
And all the things that you do
They were all Yellow

Your skin
O yea your skin and bones
Turning in to something beautiful
You know, You know I love You so
You know I love You so

Cos you were all Yellow
I drew a line
I drew a line for You
Oh what a thing to do
And it was all Yellow

Your skin
O yea your skin and bones
turn into something beautiful
And you know for you
I'd bleed myself dry
For you I'd bleed myself dry

Its true look how they shine for you
Look how they shine for you....

Jordan said...

In response to the song being too long, I think this would best fit in at the end of the game and not during the game. What is crucial is whether we can get the FO on board and play the song over the loudspeaker, much like how they play YNWA at Anfield. If we cant do that we should probably cut it down slightly

Anonymous said...

Love it!! Would this be with the music(a la liverpool"you'll never walk alone") or without?

Ryan Kozlowski said...

With the music hopefully. Someone will have to pitch this to the front office as an anthem.

Anonymous said...

what about paint it black by the rolling stones